Updated December 2017
It's a new year, and with that comes the energizing feeling of a fresh start. For many, that also means setting resolutions for betterment in the year ahead. Whether you've set your sights on weight loss, a healthier diet, travel plans, or self-improvement, there are plenty of ways to integrate your resolution into your date night plans.
Resolution #1: Exercise and lose weight
Exercise and weight loss can be fun, especially when your accountability partner happens to be your significant other. Get active, have fun, and enjoy a great date all in one.
- Try a dance class at Arthur Murray Dance Studio and improve your moves while burning calories. Your first lesson is free.
- Pick up a paddle board rental from Paddleboard Orlando and get on the water to enjoy nature while improving your core strength and balance. It's so fun you'll forget you're exercising. Kayaking more your speed? Try this clear kayaking excursion with Get Up and Go Kayaking.
- Rent Juice bikes and bike the Orlando Urban Trail, which you can access close to Lake Ivanhoe. Check out Cady Way Trail or the West Orange Trail for longer rides.
- Yoga studios are plentiful, but one of our favorite classes to partake in is Sunday Yoga in Lake Eola Park. All you need is a mat, water, and $5 to enjoy this weekly community class.
- Join an adult sports league as a team at the Orlando Sport and Social Club. Adult sports leagues include soccer, kickball, volleyball, flag football and more alongside social events such as happy hours and bar crawls. Get fit and meet some new friends in the process.
Resolution #2: Eat healthier
Next to exercise, maintaining a healthy diet is one of the most popular New Year's resolutions. Luckily, you can still enjoy a delicious date night dinner out without comprising your resolution.
- Create Your Nature serves up some of the tastiest acai bowls in the City Beautiful. Choose from a multitude of flavors and indulge in a meal you can feel good about.
- Try the plant-centric fare at The Sanctum, whose slogan is “real, damn good food.” No matter which vegan-friendly fare you choose, the green bowls, grain bowls, pasta bowls and breakfast options will have you feeling energized, full, and happy. They also have a great happy hour.
- Get your juice on at Skyebird Juice Bar and Experimental Kitchen in East End Market for a healthy snack fix. Their menu includes a variety of cold pressed juices, smoothies, salads, and more.
- Take a cooking class together to pick up a few new skills and make a commitment to cooking more frequently at home. Check our latest roundup of current class offerings.
Resolution #3: Travel more
Orlandoans, myself included, often forget that we live in a city most people flock to for their yearly vacation. Instead of spending more on a getaway to a far-flung location, get your travel fix on a local adventure that won't break the bank.
- Plan a staycation to discover a new section of the city. The EO Inn is a local B&B which serves as a great home base for a weekend exploring Orlando.
- Hop in the car for a spontaneous day trip if you're itching for a getaway. Here are a few ideas to get you started. And here's a list of romantic day trips to take.
- Soak up the sun and enjoy a beach day together. Head to nearby New Smyrna Beach for brunch and beach time, or cocktail hop on the Cocoa Beach Pier. To the West, spend a day lazing at Anna Maria Island or Honeymoon Island, both of which boast clear waters, casual eateries, and white sands in a somewhat secluded setting.
- Spend the night in one of Central Florida's most unique Airbnb Rentals and relish the adventure of a new experience together.
Resolution #4: Spend less, save money
Not every date night needs to be a splurge. There are plenty of free and cheap options in Orlando, which allow you to spend time with your partner without emptying your wallet.
- Head to one of Orlando's numerous farmer's markets for a fun and cheap date. Some of our favorites include the Orlando Farmer's Market in Lake Eola on Sundays, the Winter Park Farmer's Market on Saturdays, and the Audubon Park Community Market on Monday evenings.
- Popcorn Flicks in the Park (Winter Park) is a totally free outdoor movie event hosted by Enzian Theatre and held monthly in Central Park.
- Explore the outdoors at one of Central Florida's many nature havens. Admire the flora and fauna at Harry P. Leu Gardens, spend an afternoon hiking Wikewa Springs State Park, or trek to Lake Wales for a visit to Bok Tower Gardens.
- Combine date night with exercise and expanding your mind by going on a free walking tour in Orlando. We especially love the Greenwood Cemetery Tour, Lakeridge Winery Tour, and See Art Orlando tour.
- The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum in Winter Park offers free admission Fridays November-April from 4-8pm. Check out the large collection of folk art and Tiffany glass at no cost!
Resolution #5: Give back
Volunteering is a wonderful way to contribute to the local community, and when you make it a part of date night you'll feel even better about donating your time. Pick a cause together that you care about and treat yourselves to a day or night of giving back.
- Attend one of our Do Good Date Night events where we partner with local charities and businesses for a fun night out. Volunteer for an hour and then relax with food and drinks afterward. Events happen 6-10 times a year. Check this page for details.
- The Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida is a great place to donate your time. You can sign up for individual volunteer shifts, or attend an upcoming event.
- If you and your date are animal lovers, consider volunteering with a local animal shelter or pet rescue. Orange County Animal Services is always looking for volunteers, along with the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando. Additionally, Pawsitive Shelter Photography is always seeking new photographers and dog “wranglers” to assist with furry-friend photoshoots.
Photos: All photos, except for feature image and Bok Tower image, by Stephanie Patterson
About the Author/Photographer:
Stephanie Patterson is the managing editor of Orlando Date Night Guide. She’s a talented professional food and travel photographer and writer with a passion for creativity, the beach and great eats. When she’s not taking photos or writing, you can find her exploring the state for her Florida travel blog, Travel Taste Click. Find her online at www.spattersonphotography.com and www.traveltasteclick.com.