From Broadway shows to ballet and monthly arts events, Orlando has no shortage of options when it comes to supporting the arts. Beyond Dr. Phillips Center and Loch Haven Park, the Annie Russell Theatre at Rollins College is your ticket to see stellar shows at an affordable price point.
Located on the scenic Rollins College campus in Winter Park, The Annie is now entering its 87th season. Each show is an opportunity to support up and coming talent, as all shows feature student performers. From Mamma Mia! to the Orlando premiere of The Humans, here are four can't-miss shows coming up during the 2019/20 season.
The Humans | September 27 – October 5, 2019
The Humans is at once a witty domestic comedy, intense family drama, and goose-pimply thriller. The Orlando premiere of this piercing and perceptive Pulitzer-Prize finalist and winner of the 2016 Best Play Tony Award opens the 2019-2020 season.
- Friday, September 27 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, September 28 at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, September 29 at 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 2 at 8 p.m.
- Thursday, October 3 at 8 p.m.
- Friday, October 4 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, October 5 at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, October 5 at 8 p.m.
Private Lies: Improvised Film Noir | November 15 – 23, 20199
Private Lies is set in the Prohibition era of hardboiled private detectives and intoxicating femmes fatales. The stakes are sky-high as our anti-hero Private Eye Richard Lies wrestles with personal demons and races against time as though the very fate of his Gotham-like city depends on it—because it does! Each performance of this longform improvisation is one-of-a-kind as audiences scramble to untangle motives and offer clues.
- Friday, November 15 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, November 16 at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, November 17 at 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 20 at 8 p.m.
- Thursday, November 21 at 8 p.m.
- Friday, November 22 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, November 23 at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, November 23 at 8 p.m.
The Good Person of Setzuan | February 14 – 22, 2020
Bertolt Brecht transformed theatre in the 20th century, and Tony Kushner (Angels in America), one of the most compelling voices in contemporary American theatre, has crafted a treatment of Brecht’s masterwork that’s vitally connected to modern life. Good Person seeks to foment action and change. Brecht and Kushner ask if a truly good person can survive in a harsh and hurtful world.
- Friday, February 14 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, February 15 at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, February 16 at 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 19 at 8 p.m.
- Thursday, February 20 at 8 p.m.
- Friday, February 21 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, February 22 at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, February 22 at 8 p.m.
Mamma Mia! | April 17 – 25, 2020
The 2019-2020 season closes on a heavenly Greek island. Mamma Mia!, set to ABBA’s greatest hits, is a romantic and riotous story about the unbreakable bond between mother and daughter. Come for the intrigue and romance—but stay for “Dancing Queen” and “Take a Chance on Me!”
- Friday, April 17 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, April 18 at 8 p.m.
- Sunday, April 19 at 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 22 at 8 p.m.
- Thursday, April 23 at 8 p.m.
- Friday, April 24 at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, April 25 at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, April 25 at 8 p.m.
TICKETS + SEASON SUBSCRIPTIONS
Individual tickets are $20 will be on sale for all shows on July 16, 2019. Discounts are available for seniors, students, Rollins College alumni, and groups.
Consider upgrading to a season subscription for $65, which includes tickets to all four shows. Season subscription options vary from Opening Night packages to Saturday Matinees and the Annie Flex, which allows you to choose show dates individually. Season subscription perks include a 20% discount on single ticket prices, first choice of seats for the season, and the Arts at Rollins Discount Passport, which includes coupons to shops, restaurants and spas in the area.
Season subscriptions are available now online, or by calling 407-646-2145.
Disclosure: Rollins College is one of our valued advertising partners.
All images courtesy of The Annie Russell Theatre; feature image by Scott Cook
Comments are closed.